Sunday, January 31, 2010

Broccomoli


I don't buy fresh broccoli because I don't like the stems and I object to paying the price in weight for what I'm just going to throw away. I rarely buy broccoli crowns because you pay extra for NOT buying the stems, but a friend told me about Broccomoli. I bought broccoli, saved the stems and wah-lah! something wonderful happened.

Broccomoli

stems from broccoli that you would buy in a rubberbanded bunch (mine came with 4 )
1 Tbl Kraft mayo
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/4 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 roma tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 Tbl fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Peel the skin from the broccoli stems. Boil in salted and peppered water until good and tender, when you've cooked most of the nutritional value out of them. Drain and cool.

Puree the cooked stems, (I used a hand mixer) Add the remaining ingredients and serve with tortilla chips. Made about 3/4 cup Broccomoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment